Malvinas War/ Guerra de Malvinas

This is one of the list of the Harriers involved in action against Argentina army forces in the conflict.
Good evening Thunder,

I agree, ground attacks were very risky for the Harrier GR3 pilots.

You posted your list while I was attempting to make my list of damaged aircraft and it makes an interesting comparison. Please allow me to make some comments.

The total number of Harrier GR3 flown in combat is only 10 aircraft not 15 as you have stated.

Harrier GR3 XV778 was flying with 1 Squadron RAF in 1983.

Harrier GR3 XV789 was flying with 1 Squadron RAF in 1983.

Harrier GR3 XW919 was flying with 1 Squadron RAF in 1983.

Harrier GR3 XZ989 was damaged beyond repair and never flew again.

Harrier GR3 XZ992 was flying with 1 Squadron RAF in 1983 but crashed following a birdstrike at Stanley in 1984.

Harrier GR3 XZ997 was flying with 1 Squadron RAF in 1983 and is now in the RAF Museum at Hendon.

---------- Post added at 01:04 ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 ----------

Thunder means it was very kind of you.
Yes, I understood he did not mean it was very nice that the Harrier pilots experienced high risks! :D

reydelcastillo

Veterano Guerra de Malvinas
Colaborador
Gabotof

We need to fix that " Enigma Machine " that we are using for translation -

Thank you Gabtof and Tornado Blanco for your help with translation

Quote: "On May 16th two pairs of Sea Harriers from No. 800 squadron carried out bomb and cannon attacks on two ships. One aircraft collected a bullet hole in its tail".

I have a link to a site where this is written. Will it help with this particular issue?
And thanks to Ken:

16/05/1982 Sea Harrier ZA191 Lieutenant Simon Hargreaves RN – Hit in the tail by small-arms fire after a cannon attack on the Bahai Buen Suceso but returned to HMS Hermes.

I have added this to my original list.

thunder

Miembro del Staff
Moderador
Yes, I understood he did not mean it was very nice that the Harrier pilots experienced high risks! :D

Sorry for the translation .-
I was referring to was very kind to provide a list of aircraft .-

Referring to the list of aircraft that flew again after the war:
During the war, returned to flying?

Thank you very much

gabotdf

Miembro notable
Well, after all he was Harrier's target. So probably he ment both things. :biggrinjester:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thunder: se refiere a que aclaré que quisiste poner que el fue muy amable, pues la frase así traducída podía interpretarse de otra manera

Creaking Door escribió: Sí entendí que no quiso decir que se alegraba que los pilotos de Harrier corrieran un gran riesgo :D

Gabotdf escribió: Bueno, después de todo él era un objetivo de los Harrier. Probablemente quiso decir ambas cosas :biggrinjester:

thunder

Miembro del Staff
Moderador
Gabotdf:

Si, muchas gracias. No me había dado cuenta que eso parecía.
Ya la arreglé.-

Yes, thank you very much. I had not noticed it seemed.
I fixed It.-:banghead:

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

Enrique, mirá esto

09/06/1982 Harrier XZ997 Flight Lieutenant Murdo MacLeod RAF – Hit in wing and fuselage hydraulic lines by shell splinters during rocket-attack on 155mm gun positions near Sapper Hill and Mount Longdon but returned to HMS Hermes.

no es lo que buscabas del ataque a la Ba de Dafunchio

- - - - - - - - - - -

Enrique, look at this

Is not what you were looking for the attack of the Dafunchio batterie ?

reydelcastillo

Colaborador
That is the one

Dafunchi ( 155 mm ) states two times atack by Airplanes , first atack with rockets , missed them hit about 500 yards behind , then on the 7 th of June with those type belugas - which did hit the position -

Both atacks , airplanes came low over Sapper Hill -

I am waiting for him to make it back to Argentina and see if I can bring him to the forum -

Thank you Thunder

Records show the atack on the 9 , probably Dafunchio is wrong thinking its on the 7 th

Thunder , you had a plane very low over your head that you even saw the Pilots Helmet - When was that ?

thunder

Miembro del Staff
Moderador
Condottiere Hawkwood

Thunder.

Regarding your post #232 Derribo/Shoot Down Capitán Gustavo García Cuerva.

I found this in one of my books and I thought you might like to see it, if you have not done so already. It is an FAA air safety poster drawn by (according to the Argentine press) Capitán Gustavo García Cuerva.

Regards C.H.

Thank you very much for putting the image .-

I had not seen

I appreciate

Muchas gracias por poner la imagen, no la había visto.-

Sorry for the translation .-
I was referring to was very kind to provide a list of aircraft .-
Yes, I understood, no offence caused. :)

Referring to the list of aircraft that flew again after the war:
During the war, returned to flying?
Yes, usually 24 to 48 hours for repairs to be made. Even in the case of XW919 which it is often stated was not returned to action, this aircraft was repaired in about 36 hours, but the conflict was over.

The engine change for XV789 took about 60 hours when time could be spared from other aircraft servicing.

I have also read an account that says that a 20mm cannon shell was removed from the cockpit of one Harrier GR3 during a repair!

Now I must sleep.....it is 02:00 here! :D

reydelcastillo

Colaborador
Good night

Good Night , I'm also going to sleep - See You all Tomorrow-

Hasta manana - que descansen

cosmiccomet74

Colaborador
Colaborador
I would thinking about the May 30th attack against the Bristish Task Force.
What kind of missile or cannon shell hit the Argentinian aircrafts.

A Sea Dart was not able to take out at that extreme low level attack and less than 10 nm from the tarjet.
During the May 25th the HMS Coventry at least lunched 1 Sea Dart without any success.
Also the May 12th attack against the ships which were bombing Pto Argentino/Stanley were not shot down by Sea Darts, they were shot down by Sea Wolf.

In both cases the ships were in open sea and the Sea Dart system was anable to knock down the argentinian airplanes.

The Argentine Navy Pilots who were flying the SUE during that mission said that the A4C were flying extremely low.

HMS Coventry was too close to land for the Sea Dart missile system radars to be effective against aircraft flying low with land behind them; the pilots used this ‘cover’ to good effect.

HMS Exeter fired three Sea Dart missiles on 30th May in open water but also importantly HMS Exeter was the newest Type-42 destroyer and the missile system computer software was different (also possibly the radar system). I think these are important factors.

The A-4C pilots were extremely brave; the mission was little short of suicide for them. Their personal sacrifice deserves much respect.

thunder

Miembro del Staff
Moderador
Una pequeña historia/A little Story

Una tarde que no puedo recordar, estaba descansando y el Director de Tiro estaba apagado igual que las dos piezas.
Se trataba de una sección de la Ba A del GADA 601 equipada con un director de tiro Skyguard Contraves y dos cañones bitubo de 35 mm Oerlikon.
Yo estaba sentado tomando un jarro de leche caliente cuando vi algo que pasó justo por arriba.-
Al dirigir la vista hacia arriba pude ver un Harrier haciendo un viraje escarpado a muy pocos metros del suelo.
Sentí el olor del escape del reactor y pude ver la cabeza del piloto que miraba hacia abajo.-
Me imagino lo que habrá pensado viendo que estas mortales armas estaban apagadas y, como burla del destino él pasaba sobre ellas.-
Quien habrá sido, tal vez antes o después del ataque contra los 155, pero no puedo precisarlo.-
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o> ></o> >
El avión venía a muy baja altura por la bahía muy cerca de la costa en dirección O a E.-
A llegar al final de Puerto Argentino/Puerto Argentino giró a su derecha y ascendió ligeramente, se desplazó unos trescientos metros y volvió a girar hacia Sapper Hill.-
En esos pocos segundos, tuve al avión tan cerca que yo le podría haber lanzado una piedra.
El Harrier en ese tiempo pasó por sobre los siguientes sistemas de armas todos apagados:
Varios cañones Hispano Suizo de 30 mm de la Armada
Dos cañones gemelos de 35 mm guiados por radar
El Radar Alert de Reydelcastillo
Un puesto de tiro de Tiger Cat de la Armada.-
Sin dudar, un genio o un piloto de mucha suerte. Visto desde afuera, debo decir, buen trabajo.-
One afternoon I can not remember, I was resting and the Fire Control Radar was off like the two cannons.
This was a section of the Ba GADA 601 equipped with a Fire Control Radar Contraves Skyguard and two 35 mm twin cannons Oerlikon.<o> ></o> >

I was sitting on a jug of warm milk when I saw something that happened just above .-<o> ></o> >
I felt the smell of exhaust from the turbine and saw the head of pilot looking down
I imagine it to be thought of seeing that these deadly weapons are turned off, and mockery of fate as he passed over them .-<o>></o> >
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o> ></o>>
The plane was a very low altitude in the bay near the coast in the direction of West. to Est --
At the end of Puerto Argentino / Puerto Argentino turned to his right and slightly rose, went about three hundred meters and turn again to Sapper Hill .-<o>></o>
>
In those few seconds, I had the plane so close that I could have thrown a stone.
The Harrier went through at that time on the following weapons systems all off:
Several cannons Hispano Suizo 30mm Swiss Army
Two twin 35 mm cannons guided by radar
Radar Alert of Reydelcastillo
A launcher of the Navy Tiger Cat .-

Without doubt, a genius or a very lucky pilot. Seen from outside, I must say, god job .-<o>></o>>

Griffiths911

British War Veteran
I would thinking about the May 30th attack against the Bristish Task Force.
What kind of missile or cannon shell hit the Argentinian aircrafts.

A Sea Dart was not able to take out at that extreme low level attack and less than 10 nm from the tarjet.
During the May 25th the HMS Coventry at least lunched 1 Sea Dart without any success.
Also the May 12th attack against the ships which were bombing Pto Argentino/Stanley were not shot down by Sea Darts, they were shot down by Sea Wolf.

In both cases the ships were in open sea and the Sea Dart system was anable to knock down the argentinian airplanes.

The Argentine Navy Pilots who were flying the SUE during that mission said that the A4C were flying extremely low.

On a Type 42 one big task when trying to shoot down low flying attackers (Skyhawks 30 May) is to get the 909 fire control radar to lock on to the target. At such low heights the sea distracts the radar and it takes a few attempts to achieve a lock. However, as mentioned by Creaking door HMS Exeter had the latest software and could get her missile system to react quicker.

I am convinced that had Cardiff been in Exeter's position we would not have got the second Skyhawk kill. Just my opinion.

I firmly believe Exeter shot down the attacking Skyhawks that day.

On a Type 42 one big task when trying to shoot down low flying attackers (Skyhawks 30 May) is to get the 909 fire control radar to lock on to the target. At such low heights the sea distracts the radar and it takes a few attempts to achieve a lock. However, as mentioned by Creaking door HMS Exeter had the latest software and could get her missile system to react quicker.

I am convinced that had Cardiff been in Exeter's position we would not have got the second Skyhawk kill. Just my opinion.

I firmly believe Exeter shot down the attacking Skyhawks that day.
Hoy 12:37
La tipo 42 hiso una gran tarea al tratar de derribar los atacantes que volaban bajo (Skyhawks 30 de mayo) es obtener las 909 radares de control de incendios para bloquear a la meta. En esas alturas bajo el mar distrae el radar y se tardan un par de intentos para lograr un bloqueo. Sin embargo, como se mencionó por creaking puerta HMS Exeter tenia el software más reciente y podría llegar a su sistema de misiles para reaccionar más rápido.

Estoy convencido de que había sido en Cardiff, Exeter,en la posición de nosotros no vimos el segundo Skyhawk caer. Es sólo mi opinión.

Creo firmemente Exeter derribo el Skyhawks al atacar ese día.

Aclaracion, la traduccion es online.....hay frases que no puedo correjir, otras trato de usar el sentido y buscar la forma de que al leerlas la narracion tenga sentido. Aclaro no cambio todas las palabra, solo remplazo y cambio el verbo de algunas, sin modificar la narracion

Si no gusta me avisan.....

Saludos!!!

Fer

Procer

Colaborador
Si, tiene errores, esta es correcta.

En un Tipo 42, una gran tarea cuando se intenta derribar un atacante aereo a baja altura es mantener enganchado el radar de control de tiro 909 en el objetivo (Skyhawks 30 de Mayo) A tan baja altura, el mar distrae el radar y lleva varios intentos lograr el enganche. Sin embargo, como mencionó Creaking Door, el HMS Exeter tenía el último software y podía tener sus misiles mas rápido listos para disparar y reaccionar más rápido. Estoy convencido que si el HMS Cardiff hubiera estado en el lugar del HMS Exeter, no se habría logrado el derribo del segundo Skyhawk, pero esa es solo mi opinión.
Yo creo firmemente que el Exeter derribó a los Skyhawks ese día

gabotdf

Miembro notable
Edito. Prócer, me ganaste de mano. :boxing_smiley: Si te parece bien eliminá los post de las traducciones y las adjuntás al post original. Eso hace que la lectura sea más sencilla, sobre todo cuando hay varios post en poco tiempo.