Malvinas War/ Guerra de Malvinas

reydelcastillo

Veterano Guerra de Malvinas
Colaborador
Hola Tornado

Parece ser que ahi lo tradujo ken al castellano -

Muchas gracias Tornado por la ayuda -

Era esa parte que el escribia acerca de los C 130 cuando ellos los esperaban a las afueras de Puerto Argentino con el HMS Cardiff

Gracias Tornado -Un abrazo Enrique

Fijate Tornado el reporte de la Cardiff cuando hacen mencion a las emboscadas a los C 130 - Por suerte pifiaron un par de veces -

cosmiccomet74

Colaborador
Colaborador
Alguna vez escuche que habian modificado un transponder y lo habian convertido en un rudimentario Radar Warning Receiver RDW.

Que esa era la unica indicacion que tenian si los estaban iluminando.

Lo otro que pensaba mirando los relatos del CN (RE) Castro Fox, es que el COAN con la Universidad Austral habian sacado que a menos de 20 km del blanco sobre el mar no se podian esconder por mas que volaran bajo. Esto es siempre volando sobre el mar.

Lo que no tengo claro es la ruta de aproximacion al aeropuerto por parte de los C130, habia que preguntarle al forista LOADMASTER que el padre era tripulante en la guerra.
Sino aguanten a que vuelva a Argentina y le pregunto a mis amigos.

I have heard that they had modified a transponder and turned it into a rudimentary RDW Radar Warning Receiver.

That was the only indication that they had if they were illuminated.

The other thing I thought looking at the stories of the CN (RE) Castro Fox, is that the COAN with the Austral University, If the airplane was less than 20 km of target on the sea it could not hide anymore even flying very low.
This is always flying over the sea.

What is not clear is the route of approach to the airport by the C130. We have to ask to LOADMASTER whose father was a crewman during the war.
If there is no answer we have to wait until I am returning to Argentine and I would ask my friends.

Cheers from Taipei!!!

Parece ser que ahi lo tradujo ken al castellano -

Muchas gracias Tornado por la ayuda -

Era esa parte que el escribia acerca de los C 130 cuando ellos los esperaban a las afueras de Puerto Argentino con el HMS Cardiff

Gracias Tornado -Un abrazo Enrique

Fijate Tornado el reporte de la Cardiff cuando hacen mencion a las emboscadas a los C 130 - Por suerte pifiaron un par de veces -

Si, lo estuve leyendo...pero bueno ahi Ken dijo cual era mas que nada por el tipo de maniobras que usaban los pilotos para evitar ser detectados...Igual...es raro que no hayan podido detectar nunca a ninguno y hasta ultimo momento se hicieran viajes a las Islas...

Tornado Lo sentimos pero no lo hice traducir el texto Inglés este momento. No culpable...jajaja.

No hay problema Ken

Abrazo para ambos!!

Fer

Griffiths911

British War Veteran
Alguna vez escuche que habian modificado
What is not clear is the route of approach to the airport by the C130. We have to ask to LOADMASTER whose father was a crewman during the war.
If there is no answer we have to wait until I am returning to Argentine and I would ask my friends.

Cheers from Taipei!!!

That would be very interesting. I have a friend who served in HMS Hydra (Hospital ship) and he told me that the C130 would use his ship, which was anchored near the approach to the airport, as a visual refrence when landing at Puerto Argentino. Is that true?

Translation by Ken:

Eso sería muy interesante. Tengo un amigo que sirvió en el HMS Hydra (buque hospital) y me dijo que el C130 se utiliza la nave, que estaba anclado cerca de la aproximación al aeropuerto, como refrence visual al aterrizaje en Puerto Argentino. ¿Es eso cierto?

Yelmo58

Colaborador
That would be very interesting. I have a friend who served in HMS Hydra (Hospital ship) and he told me that the C130 would use his ship, which was anchored near the approach to the airport, as a visual refrence when landing at Puerto Argentino. Is that true?

Translation by Ken:

Eso sería muy interesante. Tengo un amigo que sirvió en el HMS Hydra (buque hospital) y me dijo que el C130 se utiliza la nave, que estaba anclado cerca de la aproximación al aeropuerto, como refrence visual al aterrizaje en Puerto Argentino. ¿Es eso cierto?

Mmmhh...?
I´ve never heard about that in C-130 pilot´s tales...

Nunca escuché eso en los relatos de los pilotos...
Guillermo

cosmiccomet74

Colaborador
Colaborador
I have never heard about using a UKs Hospiltal ship for approach reference.
That is another good question to the C130H crew memebers during de war.

Thinking about it, it seems to be highly unprobably the use of a UK ship as a visual aid for landing.
We know that a Hospital ship is not belligerent but if they saw the 130 flying over them they would relaly the information to the UKs destroyers and frigattes.

Anyway, we have to take note about that question and look for the answer.

Nunca escuche sobre los C130H usaran un buque hospital britanico como ayuda de aproximacion. Esto tendriamos que preguntarselo a alguno de los tripulantes de Hercules durante la guerra.

Pensando sobre esto, me parece muy improbable el que usaran un buque britanico como ayuda visual para el aterrizaje.
Sabemos que un buque hospital no es beligerante, pero si el buque hospital britanico veia a un C130 sobrevolarlos darian la posicion a los Destructores y Fragatas britanicas.

De todas formas, debemos tomar nota de la pregunta y buscar la respuesta.

Ariel

Griffiths911

British War Veteran
Ronald Alan Smith

British veterans having a drink in Manchester 2007.

Left is a brother from HMS Conqueror, middle is Ron Smith from the Royal Signals and me.

Ron has cancer and fighting for his life. Please think of him and pray for his recovery.

Ron lost his battle for life and died 21 August 2009.

British veterans have lost a brother but his spirit lives on within us.

Translation by Ken:

Ron perdió su batalla por la vida y murió el 21 de agosto de 2009.

Veteranos británicos han perdido a un hermano, pero su espíritu vive dentro de nosotros.

cosmiccomet74

Colaborador
Colaborador
My condolences for your friend

My mother suffered cancer and I know that cancer is a battle without winners.
I hope your friend is in pieace in God's hands.
When the cancer battle is finished the most important is the familiy that remains.

My deepest condolences to them.

Ariel

Juanma

Colaborador
Colaborador
Interestingly, there is one night where we we tried to engage what we thought was a C130 landing and later that night taking off at Puerto Argentino/Puerto Argentina. it turned out to be a jet aircraft which name eludes me.

It must have been a Fokker F-28 of the COAN (navy)
I'm almost sure they did one or a couple of flights after May 1st.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Debe haber sido un Fokker F-28 del COAN
Estoy casi seguro que hicieron un vuelo o 2 despues del 1ro de Mayo.

Phantom_II

Colaborador
Ron lost his battle for life and died 21 August 2009.

My father died of cancer almost ten years ago. I know how terrible is this decease, for the patient and the family.

My condolences to his family and friends in this hard days.
My respects to Ron, he is in a better place now.

reydelcastillo

Colaborador
I'm sorry for all of you that have lost Friends and Family members to cancer -
My respects to all of You -

Lamento que Uds hayan perdido Familires y Amigos al cancer -Mis respetos a Uds -

Enrique

Patanglén

soʌ sɐʇsǝ ɐʇlǝnʌ opɐp oɥɔǝɹǝp lɐ ʎoʇsǝ oʎ
Colaborador
Sad to hear about this, Griffiths.

My respects.

--------------------------------------

Es triste tener esta noticia Griffiths.

Mis respetos.

Saludos.

felizalde55

We couldn't know which is our final battle, till in the last moment. I hope that Ron was in peace with our Lord, my condolences and respects, Griffiths, I'm so sorry. I'll pray or him
Best regards.

Pancho

No podemos saber cual es nuestra batalla final sino hasta el último instante. Espero que Ron haya estado en paz con nuestro Señor, mis condolencias Grifitths, rezaré por él.
Saludos.

Pancho

Yelmo58

Colaborador
Hi Jimmy!
hi All, i think we have been though this photo before, but i was looking at it again this morning, it is the photo of a man being helped by his friends, and it has been named as Oscar Carrizo, but when i look at the wound that Oscar received, there does not look much evidence of it in the photo, to me he looks more like Jorge Alberto Altieri
----
hola a todos, creo que hemos sido aunque esta foto antes, pero yo estaba mirando de nuevo esta mañana, es la foto de un hombre siendo ayudado por sus amigos, y que ha sido nombrada como Oscar Carrizo, pero cuando miro a de la herida que recibió Oscar, no se ve mucha evidencia de que en la foto, a mí me parece más a Jorge Alberto Altieri
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2640/3954631055_88c3eaf9b2_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3445/3958451506_d0d7d5ff9b_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2472/3958451508_06fb1622a9_b.jpg
i would be interested in your thoughts on this matter,bye for now jimmy :cheers2:
I found some "evidence":
Jorge Altieri tells he was moved to the hospital by argentine soldiers (he was not taken prisioner in Longdon).
Here an Altieri photo shortly after war (jul 1982) in Comodoro Rivadavia Hospital (Continental Argentina)

(From/de "El Ejército en Malvinas")
It seems doesn´t match circumstances nor features.

Encontré algunas "evidencias"
Jorge Altieri relata haber sido llevado al hospital por personal argentino (no fue tomado prisionero en Longdon)
Esta foto está tomada en el Hospital de Comodoro Rivadavia (Argentina Continental) apenas finalizada la guerra (jul 1982). no parecen coincidir ni las circunstancias ni los rasgos.

Guillermo Holmes :)

The case continues. Jimmy, have you read 'Two Sides of Hell' by Vince Bramley? There are several photos in it, including your 'helmet' shot, with captions labelling Oscar Carrizo. I believe there is also a shot of a former Para with Carrizo chatting in Buenos Aires in 1993. I'll get his name if you don't already know him - could worth getting in touch to see if he has Oscar's details.

jimmytx3

British War Veteran
photo,

The case continues. Jimmy, have you read 'Two Sides of Hell' by Vince Bramley? There are several photos in it, including your 'helmet' shot, with captions labelling Oscar Carrizo. I believe there is also a shot of a former Para with Carrizo chatting in Buenos Aires in 1993. I'll get his name if you don't already know him - could worth getting in touch to see if he has Oscar's details.
hi Steve, yes i know Denzil, i have just sent him an email, i will let you know what i get back, ps i am in that book page 179:hurray:

Good stuff Jimmy, I only just got in it in the post the other day, but skipped ahead to see your mention on P.179 as you said. Fingers crossed Denzil can you two in touch.

jimmytx3

British War Veteran
RAP PHOTO

hi All, here is the email i sent to Denzil,
Hi Denzil, could you shed any light on this photo as you saw Oscar Carrizo when he was wounded.
The photo taken in the Regimental Aid Post, with the man in the head bandages has been named as me, and does look like me, I have been identified as the man in the photo by John Kennedy, Davie Jock Wilson, Roger James, and Steve McConnell,
the reason for the Argentine jacket was given by Jock Wilson that a friend of his Neil Parkin took it off an Argentine and put it on me.
But an Argentine web site has been saying its Oscar Carrizo, could you shed any light on this, your assistance would be greatly appreciated as you may have been the only one I know to have seen him,
And Denzil, Oscar Carrizo received a glancing wound across the top of his left eye which exited out of the side of his helmet, and the shell dressing bear no relation to his injury, I received a wound exiting out the right side of my face, were the shell dressing is placed, there is a shell dressing on the other side, but I was treated in the dark under fire with blood coming out of everywhere,
Denzil I hope you can shed some light on this,
bye for now jimmy O'Connell
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3533/3890681106_98d434a6db_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2450/3888572437_d94b59b2cf_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3508/3888572435_79621031f4_b.jpg
here is Denzil`s reply.
Hello Jimmy, hope that you & family are well. I concur with you about the RAP photo completely. I met Oscar many years ago in Buenos Aires with Dom Grey & Vince Bramley. I even have some photos of the occasion somewhere. I remember that there is quite a famous photo of him being taken away for treatment after he came to on Longdon. He was shot in the head by JP of D Coy and was left for dead...some of us were witness to this happening as JP guided the FST of the summit down to where B Coy THQ was. A few hours later I happened to see him again trying to stand up and was crawling about near a bunker in the bowl as we called it. At first I was going to finish him off as I thought he was still dangerous, but, changed my mind and organised some blokes to take him to the RAP. His wounds were indeed in the head and a lot of blood was on his face. I shall try and find the photos in question when I seen him years later and you can clearly see the scars on the left side of his head above the eye brow. Take care Jimmy mate.

Glad you got your info, Jimmy. Just reading it though drives home how ugly war is, and how a man's life can be held in the balance of a moment's decision whether or not to shoot. What does FST stand for by the way?