Malvinas War/ Guerra de Malvinas

Griffiths911

British War Veteran
PM CGGE(RS)

PM CGGE(RS) Carrega, Jorge Carlos Guardacostas GC-82 "Islas Malvinas".

PM CGGE.

Does this rank match the uniform insignia in this photo?

Prefecto

Is this equivalent to U.S.N. Lieutenant Commander?

GABINOSUAREZ

Veterano Guerra de Malvinas
Dear Ken:

You are wellcome.
I have not good english i'm so sorry for that but i will try to understand and write.
what you are going to do with these things (return back to Carrega) is very nice from your side and I appreciate that. That is why I contact Carrega by phone and get all details to do possible what you whish.
I was on Artillery "C" GA4 in 1982, Puerto Argentino west. I was lieutenant.
I have good memories of England troops. I remember when we buried 40 of our soldiers. Several British soldiers was craying for the dead argentinians soldiers. It was not easy for me to understand at that time.
You were very professional in various aspects.
At the end, I am glad that these experiences of the war will be overcome. Even I believe that this forum can help us to have a better life and enjoy every moment knowing that those who were our enemies can understand and appreciate us.

Have a nice day Ken.

Gabino

Griffiths911

British War Veteran
Gabino

Gracias por las palabras amistosas, ellos significan mucho a mí.
Gran Bretaña y la Argentina serán amigos otra vez. El tiempo ayudará.

Respecto a usted teniente.

Ken.

Thank you for the friendly words, they mean a lot to me. Britain and Argentina will be friends again. Time will help.

Respect to you Lieutenant.

Ken.

Prefecto

Is this equivalent to U.S.N. Lieutenant Commander?

"Prefecto" is a rank from Prefectura Naval Argentina / Argentine Coast Guard, not Armada Argentina / Argentine Navy. So, the correct equivalent is USCG Lieutnant commander.

Therefore, a U.S.N. Lieutnant Commander is equivalent to a Capitán de Corbeta / Corvette Captain in our navy. The rank insignia is the same as in Royal Navy and USN.

Welcome!

Rob

---------- Post added at 01:02 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

I am a British veteran of the conflict in 1982 sending a parcel to a senior officer of the PNA in Buenos Aries. The address I have appears to be the headquarters of the PNA. Questions:

(i) Will this present a security problem?

(ii) Will Prefecto Carrega actually get the parcel?

(iii) Is there a better way of doing this?

Many thanks in advance.

Mr. Carrega should receive the parcel without problem.

Regards

Rob

Griffiths911

British War Veteran
Más de mis fotos

¿27 de mayo de 1982? Buen día, visibilidad cero, vuelo cero.

25 de mayo de 1982. El SAS ensambla HMS Cardiff.

Ken Griffiths delante de Seadart lanzador, Junio de 1982.

Puesta del sol el 16 de junio de 1982. PNA GC82 Islas Malvinas y HMS Cardiff.

HMS Bristol, Ascension Mayo de 1982.

Tengo más a compartir con usted.

Juanma

Colaborador
Colaborador
I think I've seen your pictures before.
About the Sea Dart Launcher. It's heavy duty grease sealing the acces door to preserve the electronic, isn't it?

Another low tech solution for a high tech problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creo que vi tus fotos antes.
Sobre el lanzador de Sea Dart, es grasa en la puerta de acceso que ayuda a aislar la electronica no?

Otra solucion de baja tecnologia para un problema de alta tecnologia.

Griffiths911

British War Veteran
halcon_CRUZE

Los SAS saltan en el mar. HMS Cardiff recoge los SAS y tránsitos durante la noche a la TEZ. Cuando alcanzamos la TEZ el helicóptero HMS Cardiff llevan los SAS a la HMS Hermes. No sé los detalles de la operación.

Mi español es de un programa del traductor. ¿Puede usted entender?

Saludos.

---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

I think I've seen your pictures before.
About the Sea Dart Launcher. It's heavy duty grease sealing the acces door to preserve the electronic, isn't it?

Another low tech solution for a high tech problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creo que vi tus fotos antes.
Sobre el lanzador de Sea Dart, es grasa en la puerta de acceso que ayuda a aislar la electronica no?

Otra solucion de baja tecnologia para un problema de alta tecnologia.

I have donated many of my pictures to Wikipedia. The photo of PNA GC82 Islas Malvinas is the first time I have shown it.

You are exactly right about the Seadart launcher.

----------

He donado muchos de mis cuadros a Wikipedia. El foto de PNA GC82 Islas Malvinas es la primera vez que he compartido.

Usted está exactamente a la derecha sobre el lanzador de Seadart.

Hello fellow members. I am known elsewhere as DeltaWhisky58 and am honoured to have been invited to join you here. Whilst I didn't serve with HM Forces in the Malvinas campaign, it has become an obsession of mine and I have built up a huge library of books published in English on the subject, I'll update my book list and post it here soon.

I come in peace and reconciliation.

----

Hola colegas. Yo soy conocido en otros lugares como DeltaWhisky58 y me siento honrado de haber sido invitado a unirme a ustedes. Aunque no haya servido a las Fuerzas de Su Majestad en la campaña de Malvinas, se ha convertido en una obsesión para mi y he creado una enorme biblioteca de libros publicados en Inglés sobre el tema, voy a actualizar mi lista de libros y posteare aqui pronto .

Vengo en paz y la reconciliación.

Congratulations
http://www.youtube.com.ar/user/machaign
this si my youtube account tell me if there is something agressive I will change it.

Griffiths911

British War Veteran
That is the info we were looking for Ken , there is a Report from Daniel , Engenier who told us that those lights lasted long time -
At Military Photos " Royal" says that Artillery Grounds or Mortar Grounds with iluminating devise atached to parachute would last a minute or two , that they should be Naval Grounds , the one you are describing now -

Tell us what went on the night of June 06 ?

Regards Enrique

HMS Cardiff and HMS Yarmouth detached from the task force to conduct naval gunfire support on the Hoya Chasco (Bluff Cove) gun line at 20:00 (GMT) 5 June. We were delayed because Yarmouth had a defect with her 4.5" gun and it had to be repaired. Because of the delay, we transited at great speed and after passing through the area of the exocet zone we arrived at the gun line near Fitzroy at around 03:00.

I was not on duty in the operations room so I went to the bridge to watch the action. I think our target was Mount Challenger.

I climbed the ladders to the bridge passing through the officers' accommodation that was illuminated with red lighting so no noticeable light enters the bridge area. I poked my head through the bridge hatch and said " Officer of the watch sir, permission to enter the bridge" "Yes please,” replied Lt. Wrigley. Lt. Wrigley was a good officer. He had a long beard and warm friendly eyes; he was gentle by nature and very much an academic. I never heard him shout or get angry with any sailor.

It was a very dark night with no natural or man-made light. I groped my way across the bridge with my arms outstretched like a blind man. The personnel on duty on the bridge could see me clearly as their eyes were accustomed to the dark and I must have made a strange figure on the bridge that night. Eventually, I reached the port windows. With excitement and fascination I watched the shooting through night sight binoculars. The gun would explode with a tremendous 'bang' and a large flame would emerge from the invisible barrel. After what seemed to be a long time, the shells exploded in the distance in a small dot of green.

At around 04:00 (GMT) the speaker on the bridge (command open line) erupted in a cacophony of verbal instructions. The surface team had detected an unidentified but assumed hostile air contact and the AAWO (Lt.Cdr Welch) and Captain Harris were communicating on command open line. I do not exactly remember what was said but it was a mixture of the following:

"Air contact bearing..."
"What is it?...."
"Seadart..."

Etc. etc.

And finally Captain Harris: "Engage with Seadart".

There was silence for a moment then the unmistakeable sound of the Seadart launcher coming to life. A whirring sound like a robot then two white war shot missiles appeared and rotated towards the target. The aircraft, unaware of Cardiff is just minutes away from destruction.

"Take cover" shouted the OOW. I dive for cover below the windows as a Seadart leaves the launcher. Our dark world is illuminated uncomfortably. The dark is safety and now Cardiff is exposed for all to see. HMS Yarmouth had been illuminated by enemy fire control radar earlier and now I feel vulnerable. The missile screams skyward, how high is this aircraft? I think to myself. I follow the flight of the missile as it races towards its victim and explode in a huge green fireball. I shout to the OOW that I have seen the missile detonate and the OOW informs the Operations Room "Detonation seen".

We have engaged the elusive C130. There was some cheering but the captain ordered everyone to be quiet. About one hour later the surface team detected four small surface contacts closing Hoya Chasco (Bluff Cove). Cardiff and Yarmouth close to investigate. Captain Harris ordered the contacts to be illuminated with star shells. The contacts were identified as four landing craft carrying hundreds of Scots Guards.

Neither Cardiff nor Yarmouth was informed that a friendly gazelle was operating in the area or that British troops were landing at Hoya Chasco (Bluff Cove) that night. Four British servicemen were killed when Cardiff engaged their aircraft with Seadart.

Captain Harris never told us that we had shot down one of our own aircraft. I simply read about it many years later in the tabloid newspaper the 'Sun'. It was a devastating blow for me. I had seen the missile hit the Gazelle and had actually cheered the deaths of my fellow countrymen. I felt ashamed of myself and often in the quiet moments of the early hours when you are just waking and alone with your thoughts I think of these men and cry.

In 2007 I spoke with the son of the Gazelle pilot, Paul Griffin. He was desperate to understand what happened to his father and cannot accept that no blame has been apportioned to any individual or group. I could say nothing to alleviate his pain. May God be with him.

It is ironic that I have shared my feelings about this incident with my old enemy. I have not done so with my family or fellow countrymen.

Thank you for letting me do this.

May they Rest In Peace.

SAMA82 Christopher

SAMA82 Simon

SAMA82 Michael

SAMA82 John

cosmiccomet74

Colaborador
Colaborador
It is very sad to loose your own contrymen for friendly fire.

The Argentine Air Force (FAA) lost two aircraft under friendly fire. The first one was on May 1st when a Mirage IIIEA was trying to land at Pto Argentino/Stanley airport.
The airport was in red alert and the antiaircraft guns couldn't be advised in time so the airplane was hit by the AA.
My (Post Mortem) Gustavo Garcia Cuerva couldn't eject.

The second friendly fire casualty was on May 12th when after attacking the HMS Glasgow and the HMS Brialliant, the Captain (PM) Fausto Gavazzi was shotted down by the 35 mm argentinian AA located at Darwin.

There are some doubts about an Argentine Army Puma shotted down.

Translation
Es muy penoso el perder tropas propias debido a fuego propio.

La Fuerza Aerea Argentina perdio dos aviones debido a fuego propio. El primero fue un Mirage IIIEA el 1ro de Mayo cuando intentando aterrizar en el aeropuerto de Pto Argentino/Stanley fue derribado por la artilleria antiaerea que no pudo ser avisada a tiempo.
El Mayor (Post Mortem) Gustavo Garcia Cuerva no se puedo eyectar.

El segundo derribo por fuego propio fue el Capitan (Post Mortem) Fausto Gavazzi que fue derribado el 12 de Mayo cuando luego de bombardear a los HMS Glasgow y HMS Brialliant su avion fue derribado por los caniones de 35 mm Argentinos dispuestos en Darwin.

Hay dudas sobre el derribo de un helicoptero Puma del Ejercito Argentino.

Jualbo

Colaborador
And also friendly fire was involved in captain Palaver downing. He was fired and hit over Pradera del Ganso (Goose Green) when, by error, attacked Monsumen, what oblied him to go up to save fuel. Then he was detected and downed by Sea Darts from Coventry on 25th may. Some sources say that he was going to eject cause had no fuel enough. Anyway, friendly fire was determinant in what happened.

Y también el fuego amigo intervino en el derribo del capitán Palaver. Fue disparado y alcanzado sobre Pradera del Ganso (Goose Green) cuando, por error, atacó al Monsumen, lo que obligó a ascender para ahorrar combustible. Entonces fue detectado y derribado por Sea Darts del Coventry el 25 de mayo. Algunas fuentes dicen que iba a eyectarse porque no tenía combustible suficiente. De cualquier forma, el fuego amigo fue determinante en lo que ocurrió.

cosmiccomet74

Colaborador
Colaborador
Griffiths911 translation

Hago la traduccion del ultimo post del Sr Griffiths911 que me parece de sumo interes para que todos nosotros.

Las HMS Cardiff y la HMS Yarmouth fueron enviadas desde la Task Force para realizar bombardeo naval
en apoyo de operaciones terrestres en Hoya Chasco (Bluff Cove) alrededor de las 20:00 (GMT) el 5 de Junio.
Estuvimos demorados porque la HMS Yarmouth tuvo problemas en el canion de 4,5`` y tuvo que ser
reparado. Por esa demora nuestra velocidad de transito fue aumentada y asi pasamos el area de disparo de los Exocet, llegando al area de disparo cerca de Fitzroy alrededor de las 03:00 (GMT)
No estando de servicio fui al puente a ver la accion. Pienso que el objetivo era el Monte Challenger.
Subi la escalera al puente pasando por el sector de descanso de los oficiales iluminado solamente
por una luz roja por lo tanto solamente ese tipo de luces podian ser encendidas en el area del puente.
Apoye mi cabeza sobre una ventanilla del puente y pedi permiso para entrar. El permiso me fue dado por el Teniente Wrigley. Este era un buen oficial con una larga barba y calidos ojos. Era un caballero
y muy profesional. Nunca lo vi gritar o enojarse con un marinero.
Era una noche muy oscura sin ningun tipo de luz natural o artificial. Por eso mismo tuve que andar a tientas por el puente con los brazos extendidos como un ciego. Al personal en servicio en el puente
con sus ojos acostumbrados a la oscuridad debio parecerle extrania mi precencia.
Eventualmente logre alcanzar las ventanas del puente. Con una gran excitacion y fasinacion pude observar los disparos a traves de los binoculares de vision nocturno. El canion explotaba con un
tremendo ruido (bang) y una larga llamarada emergia desde el canion invisible. Luego de lo que parecia
un largo espacio de tiempo, las andanadas explotaban en la distancia como si fueran un pequenio circulo verde.
Alrededor de las 04:00 (GMT) por los altoparlantes del puente (linea de comando abierta) salieron instrucciones verbales. El equipo de superficie habian detectado un eco no identificado que se asumia hostil y el AAWO (Anti Aircraft War Officer) (Lt Cdr Welch) y el Capitan Harris fueron avisados por la linea de comando abierta. No recuerdo exactamente que fue lo que se dijo pero fue una mezcla como la que sigue a continuacion:
“rumbo al contacto aereo…”
“Que es esto….”
“Seadart…”

Etc. etc.

Al final el Capitan Harris dijo: “atacar con el Seadart”.
Hubo un silencio por un momento para luego el inconfundible sonido del lanzador del Sea Dart volviendo a la vida. Los chillidos sonaban como si fuera un robot y luego dos blancos disparos de misiles aparecian y rotaban hacia el blanco.
La aeronave, sin saber de la HMS Cardiff estaba a minutos de ser destruida.

“Buscar Proteccion” grito el OOW. Yo me tire debajo de las ventanas cuando el Sea Dart salio del lanzador. Nuestro oscuro mundo se ilumino desconfortablemtne. La oscuridad es segura y ahora la Cardiff estaba expuesta a la vista de todos. La HMS Yarmouth habia sido iluminada anteriormente por un radar de tiro enemigo y ahora me sentia vulnerable. El misil salio ruidosamente hacia el cielo. Cuan alto iria el avion? Pense para mi mismo. Segui el vuelo del misil hacia su victima y explotaba en una gran bola verde. Le grite al OOW que habia visto la detonacion del misil, el mismo informo a la sala de Operaciones que la detonacion habia sido vista.

Habriamos combatido a un elusivo C130. Hubo algunos festejos pero el Capitan ordeno a todos que nos matuvieramos tranquilos. Alrededor de una hora el equipo de superfice detecto cuatro pequenios contactos de supercie acercandose a Hoya Chasco (Bluff Cove). La Cardiff y la Yarmouth se acercaron a investigar.
El Capitan Harris ordeno que los contactos sean iluminados con bengalas. Los contactos fueron identificados como cuatro botes de desembarco llevando cientos de Scot Guards.
Nadie en la Cardiff o la Yarmouth fue informado de que un Gazelle propio estaba operando en el area o
que tropas britanicas fueran desembarcadas en Hoya Chasco (Bluff Cove) esa noche. Cuatro tripulantes Britanicos fueron muertos cuando la Cardiff derribo su aeronave con el Sea Dart.

El Capitan Harris nunca nos dijo que habiamos derribado una aeronave propia. Simplemente lo lei muchos anios despues en un periodico “Sun”. Esto fue devastador para mi. Yo vi como el misil hacia impacto en el Gazelle y victorie la muerte de mis propios camaradas. Senti una gran verguenza conmigo mismo y varias veces en los momentos de tranquilidad, temprano cuando uno se esta levantando y esta solo pienso en ellos y lloro.

En el 2007 pude hablar con el hijo del piloto del Gazelle, Paul Griffin. El estaba desesperado por entender que le habia pasado a su padre y no podia aceptar que no hubiese sido castigado nadie individual o grupalmente. No pude decir nada por aliviar su pena. Dios este con el.
Es ironico que pueda compartir mis sentimientos sobre este incidente con mis viejos enemigos. No lo he podido hacer con mi familia ni con mis propios camaradas.

Gracias por dejarmelo hacer aqui.

Puedan descansar en paz.

Estimado Sr Griffiths911, muchas gracias por compartir tan hondo sentimiento con nosotros. Tu pesar es signo de una buena persona, pero no eres responsable de esos actos, el destino es implacable a veces.
Saludos.

Estimated Mr. Griffiths911, thank you very much for sharing so deep feeling with us. Your sorrow(despite) is a sign of a good person, but you are not responsible for these acts, the destination(destiny) is implacable sometimes. Regards.

Griffiths911

British War Veteran
Ajax Bay

13 de junio de 1982. He recibido la orden de ir a la Bahía de Ajax con el rum para los cirujanos. El es lugar deprimente. I tomar muchas fotos y esta es la tumba de la laundryman chino Kyu Ben Kwo, HMS Coventry, Murió 25 de mayo de 1982. Kyu saltó en el mar y sufrió un ataque cardíaco masivo.

R.I.P.

Pregunta/ Question!

Ken recounts what is the same episode where the boats tried desembracar and were illuminated by the hospital ship Irizar ???..

Lo que relata Ken es el mismo episodio donde las lanchas intentaron desembracar y fueron iluminados por le buque hospital Irizar???..

Fer

Griffiths911

British War Veteran
Estimado Sr Griffiths911, muchas gracias por compartir tan hondo sentimiento con nosotros. Tu pesar es signo de una buena persona, pero no eres responsable de esos actos, el destino es implacable a veces.
Saludos.

Estimated Mr. Griffiths911, thank you very much for sharing so deep feeling with us. Your sorrow(despite) is a sign of a good person, but you are not responsible for these acts, the destination(destiny) is implacable sometimes. Regards.

Gracias por sus amables palabras.
----
Thank you for your kind words.

Esto es genial.
----
This is great.
(I do not know what weapons will fight World War III, but I do know what will be used in the Fourth: sticks and stones). Albert Einstein.
----
(No sé con qué armas se peleará la Tercera Guerra Mundial, pero sí sé cuáles se usarán en la Cuarta: palos y piedras). Albert Einstein.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

Ken recounts what is the same episode where the boats tried desembracar and were illuminated by the hospital ship Irizar ???..

Lo que relata Ken es el mismo episodio donde las lanchas intentaron desembracar y fueron iluminados por le buque hospital Irizar???..

Fer

O No, mi amigo. Iluminados por el radar.
----
No my friend, illuminated by radar.

Thanks Ken!
You remember that mission iban that group?
Where it is headed, or where you were at that time? (Location of his ship)

Gracias Ken!
Usted recuerda en que misión iban ese grupo?
Hacia donde se dirigían, o en donde Uds. se encontraba en ese momento?( Ubicación de su buque)

Fer

PS: your request was accepted! We will be in touch ... Cheers!