Jets Antagonicos

F-14 Vs Mig 23 / Golfo de Sidra 1989

Archivo de audio con las comunicaciones durante el incidente sobre el Golfo de Sidra:

http://rapidshare.com/files/139294435/F14shoot.mp3.html

Situación:
History of the Engagement
The day is January 4, 1989. The airspace close to the Libyan coast in the Gulf of Sidra. Two VF-32 F-14As from USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) fly a mission as Combat Air Patrol when a pair of Libyan Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23 Floggers were detected. The MiG-23s had taken off from Al Bumbaw Airfield near Tobruk and they continued their flight towards the US fighters, even though the F-14s radar had locked on the bogies. It's a common procedure under such circumstances to lock the powerful APG-9 radar on the incoming Libyan fighters, to give them the possibility to turn around and head back home. Usually this procedure was impressive enough to drive the Libyans back since the radar warning tone resulting from an armed F-14's radar was fearsome enough. But this time it did not work. For the second time US Navy F-14s were engaged by Libyan fighter aircraft under hostile conditions. During the 8 minutes engagement, the MiGs kept turning into the Tomcats to maintain a firing solution for their Soviet built air-to-air missiles (refered to as "jinking"). As later examination of F-14 still photography resolved, the MiG-23s were armed with AA-7 Apex missiles. The F-14s took the MiG-23's head on. They try to take offsets to try to discourage the enemy and to gain position, but with the help of Lybian ground command, they countered each move and forced the Tomcats to take them head on. After the second offset, Alpha Bravo (Kennedy air command) issued "warning yellow, weapons hold", giving the F-14's authority to fire if they felt they were threatened or was in danger. After the sixth offset (jink), at 13 miles, the wingleader knew a fight was inevitable and fired an AIM-7 Sparrow. His wingmen immediately followed him and fired another Sparrow at the same target. The target was downed and the second MiG did a flyby. After pulling more than 5.0 G's, the wingleader centered the bandit. Less than 2 miles away, the Sidewinder was the only weapon effective, but he couldn't get a tone! With his RIO yelling in the background he tried to figure out what's the problem when he finally got a tone; his volume knob was turned down. With a good growl, he pulled the trigger and yelled "Fox 2!" and the AIM-9 flew right in the MiG's exhaust. Both Libyan pilots ejected, however, no attempt was made by their goverment to rescue them in the Gulf of Sidra, and they were left for dead.

Transcripción de las comunicaciones
Crew

Gypsy 207 (F-14A, BuNos 159610 AC207)
- Pilot: Joseph B. Connelly (207P)
- Radar Intercept Operator (RIO): Steven P. Collins (207R)

Gypsy 204 (F-14A, BuNos 159013 AC204)- Wingman
- Pilot: Hermon C. "Munster" Cook III (204P)
- Radar Intercept Operator (RIO): Leo F. Enright (204R)

Alpha Bravo
- CVG-67 USS John F. Kennedy Air Command (AB)

Closeout
- Orbiting control aircraft. (CLOSE)

Transcript
207R- "Gypsy 207 contact at 175, 72 miles, looks like a flight of two, Angels 10."
CLOSE- "Closeout concurs, showing 78 miles."
204R- "Throttle back just a little bit here."
CLOSE- "Closeout shows 25 mile seperation for an inbound"
207R- "Contacts appear to be heading, ah, 315 now, speed 430, Angels approximately 8,000."
CLOSE- "Roger Ace, take it north."
204P- "Looks like we'll have to make a quick loop here."
204R- "Come starboard, ah I need to give ya collision here. Yeah, come starboard about 40."
207R- "207 ah, 61 miles now, bearing 180, Angels 8, heading 330." 204R- "Steady up."
CLOSE- "Alpha Bravo this is Closeout."
204R- "Come back port, ah, 20 degrees here, he's jinkin' now."
207R- "Bogies appear to be coming, ah, jinking to the right now, heading north, speed 430, ah, angels 5,000 now in the descent. So lets take her down now, we're goin' down."
CLOSE- "Concur."
207R- "Closeout, 53 miles now. Bogies appear to be heading directly at us. I'm coming towards. Steady up 150 for 33 offset, 50 miles. 49 miles now, speed 450, Angels 9, I'm goin' down to 3."
204P- "(unintelligible, from 204P, formation flying?)"
207P- "Roger."
207R- "Roger that, 30 degree offset now. Bogies heading 340, speed 500, lets accelerate."
207P- "Okay, it looks like they are at 9,000 feet now."
207R- "Roger, bogies are jinked back into us now, now lets come starboard 30 degrees the other side."
204P- "Coming starboard, say your Angels."
- "(unintelligible) patrol setting up station."
207R- "Roger, Angels now 11, ready up."
AB- "Closeout ah, Warning yellow, weapons hold, I repeat, warning yellow, weapons hold. Alpha Bravo out."
CLOSE- "Roger, Gypsies, pass up, Alpha Bravo directs warning yellow, weapons hold."
207P- "35 miles here."
207R- "Roger that. Bogies have jinked back into me now for the third time. Nose is on at 35 miles, Angels 7"
CLOSE- "Alpha Bravo cleared that, did you copy?"
207R- "Okay, I am taking another offest, starboard, starboard, ah, 210."
CLOSE- "Guys, I'm locked up here 30 miles, Angels 13,000, he's the trailer"
207R- "Roger that, level off here, bogie jinked back into me for the 4th time. I'm coming back starboard. I'm back port now. Port 27 miles, bogie is at 7,000 feet."
207P- "We're at 5."
AB- "Watch out, bogies 135-50, Angels 16, heading 340."
207P- "Okay."
CLOSE- "Roger, same bogies."
207P- "Okay, you're in collision now, steering."
207R- "Okay, bogies have jinked back at me again for the fifth time. They're on my nose now. Inside of 20 miles"
- {Master arm alert}
207R- "Master arm on, master arm on"
CLOSE- "Okay, good light"
207P- "Good Light"
207R- "Okay, centering up the T, bogie has jinked back into me again, 16 miles, at the center of the dot."
CLOSE- "Say your Angels."
207R- "I'm at Angels 5, nose up."
CLOSE- "No, his Angels."
207P- "No, wait a minute."
207R- "Angels are at 9!"
207P- "Alpha Bravo from 207."
207R- "13 miles. Fox 1! Fox 1!"
207P- "Ah jesus!"
204P- "Breaking right."
207R- "Roger that, 10 miles, he's back on my nose. Fox 1 again!"
207P- "Watching 'em up."
207R- "6 miles, 6 miles."
204R- "Tally 2, Tally 2! Turning into me."
207R- "Roger that, 5 miles. . . 4 miles."
207P- "Okay, he's got a missile off."
204R- "Breakin' right."
207P- "Good hit, good hit on one!"
207R- "Roger that, good kill, good kill!"
204P- "I've got the other one."
204R- "Select fox 2, select fox 2!!"
204P- "I got fox 2."
CLOSE- "Keep your eye for the trailer."
207R- "Comin' hard starboard."
204P- "Those ****in'!"
204R- "Shoot him!"
204P- "I don't got tone."
207R- "That's the second one."
204P- "I've got the second one on my nose right now."
207R- "Okay, I am high cover on you."
204P- "Get a fox, get a, lock him up! Lock him up."
204R- "There! Shoot him, fox 2!"
204P- "I can't! I don't have a ****ing tone!"
204P- "Tone's up!"
- {Fox 2--AIM-9 Sidewider launch}
204R- "Fox 2."
204P- "Good kill! Good kill!"
207R- "Okay, good kill."
207R- "Pilot ejected."
CLOSE- "The pilot's ejected out of the second one."
204R- "Okay Munster, lets head north, head north."
207R- "Okay. Port side high, comin' down hard."
204R- "Roger."
207R- "Roger that. Just revert. Blowin' north, let's go down low on the decks, unload, 500 knots, lets get out of here."
204P- "Okay, two good chutes."
CLOSE- "They're showin' two good chutes in the air here, from Munster."
207R- "Roger that, I see the, ah--."
207P- "I've got the splash, one splash."
207R- "One splash."
204R- "Take that down to, ah, 3,000 here Munster."
CLOSE- "The, ah, splash 160 at 96."
204R- "Lets go, Munster down to 3,000 and lets get outta here."

Muy bueno el audio!! muchas gracias por compartirlo!!

Acá hay más información http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Sidra_incident_(1989)

incluyendo esta imagen supuestamente tomada después de destruido el segundo MIG:

Escuchándolo creo que el mismo o partes del mismo fue usado como fondo para el simulador Falcon 4.0 para PC. Siempre pensé que serían grabaciones ficticas, o a lo sumo de ejercicios.

De nuevo muchas gracias!!

Saludos.

Así es, parte de las comunicaciones del simulador Falcon 4 (en alguna de sus versiones) tiene parte de estas comunicaciones.

Un saludo

Juanma

Colaborador
Colaborador
Buenisimas las 2 respuestas, eso da pie para decir, que no siempre va a importar que el avion sea mas maniobrable o potente.
O sea, que por mas que el tomcat sea un armario con alas, aun asi le puede pasar el trapo a esos que dicen que tienen el avion mas maniobrable.....

Despues voy a buscar a ver q onda los pilotos yankees que experiencia tenian

Accrochage

Colaborador
Colaborador
Impecable Agresor!

La grabación de estas comms sin duda es una de esas perlitas aeronáuticas que anda dando vueltas y son dignas de escucharse una y otra vez. El tono de voz de la ulitma transmisión cuando le dice al resto del vuelo "potencia a pleno, nos rajamos cagando de aca", lo dice todo!
Saludos

las armas marcan la diferencia

Si tenemos en cuenta que los F14 apenas realizaron maniobra alguna para derribar a esos desgraciados mig-23 libios dado los misiles sparrow con los que les dispararon, llegaremos a la conclusión de que fue más el radar y las armas las que marcaron la diferencia en el duelo aereo más que la maniobrabilidad de los aviones y la pericia de los pilotos

pero si a uno lo bajaron con AIM-9!,osea que tuvieron que buscarle las 6 al libio para bajarlo ;)
204R- "There! Shoot him, fox 2!"
204P- "I can't! I don't have a ****ing tone!"
204P- "Tone's up!"
- {Fox 2--AIM-9 Sidewider launch}
204R- "Fox 2."
204P- "Good kill! Good kill!"
207R- "Okay, good kill."
207R- "Pilot ejected."
CLOSE- "The pilot's ejected out of the second one."

Juanma

Colaborador
Colaborador
También es una perlita lo de la perilla de volumen.
Son esas cosas que cambian un combate, uno de los post de blog de Little, en un 2 v 1, el ala no vio el cruce con el enemigo porq lo tapo el sol porq no podia usar su visor por estar empañado o porq se secaba el sudor que le caia a los ojos....

iovan, si bien al 1ro se lo comen con AIM7, al segundo lo enganchan tras hacer un giro de 5Gs, asi que alguna maniobra mas en el medio hubo.

Inclusive el Tomcat lider tambien puede maniobrar para tener el 2do blanco (pero no lo hace porq lo tenia el ala)

Voy a ver si encuentro algun relato o algo.

Accrochage

Colaborador
Colaborador
También es una perlita lo de la perilla de volumen.
Esa tambien es BUE NI SI MA!

Pasado al Argento seria:

Piloto: "Tengo al otro!"
RIO: "Selecciona Sidewinder"
Piloto: "Lo tengo seleccionado...la pu7a madre!"
RIO: "Tirale ****** dale que ahi esta"
Piloto: "Pero la c0n6a de tu hermana, no tengo el tono"
RIO: "LA C0NH$ DE TU TIA, TIRALE!!!!!!!!"
Piloto: "No me entendiste enfermo que no puedo, no escucho el tono este de mi3r=a"
Rio: "Ahi lo tenes hij0 de pu7$, subile el volumen!!!"
Piloto: "Fox 2"