Malvinas War/ Guerra de Malvinas

I've been watching some clips from a UK documentary that came out around '87 I think, it was called 'Malvinas: The Untold Story' - do any of the Brit (or Argentine) members on here happen to know the soldier talking?

By the way, I found this a hard, but compelling video to watch - the man in question was obviously deeply disturbed by what happened.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUTRnbK0J3A[/media]

jimmytx3

British War Veteran
I've been watching some clips from a UK documentary that came out around '87 I think, it was called 'Malvinas: The Untold Story' - do any of the Brit (or Argentine) members on here happen to know the soldier talking?

By the way, I found this a hard, but compelling video to watch - the man in question was obviously deeply disturbed by what happened.

hi yes, I was quite touched by his honest raw emotion, i will ask about him,
bye for now
jimmy

reydelcastillo

Veterano Guerra de Malvinas
Colaborador
In Spanish / En Castellano

Es un Medico Britanico que relata acerca de dos de los heridos que encontro en el campo de batalla , uno un Soldados al cual le fataba la mitad izquierda de su cara y tenia otras heridas en el pecho , cuando se acerco lo primero que penso es que seguramente no viviria y que si tuviese que revisar su billetera para tratar de identificarlo encontraria una foto de su esposa e hijos , lo cual lo hizo sentir muy mal - Relata de cuando lo llaman porque encuentran un Oficial herido , cuando llega tenia un impacto en el abdomen-
Continua relatando que se sintio muy mal al ver los heridos y aca da un dato :

Los heridos que fueron encntrando en el campo de batalla mostraban signos de haber sufrido mucho , porque sus miembros ( piernas y brazos estaban encogidos - lo cual es un signo de sufrimiento -

El no lo dice , pero entonces nosotros no recogimos a nuestros heridos -

Al comienzo del relato cuando muestran el Helo hacen mencion a la cantidad de bajas ( heridos y muertos) que encontraron a medida que avanzaban -

Jimmy I just translated it to Spanish -

Patanglén

soʌ sɐʇsǝ ɐʇlǝnʌ opɐp oɥɔǝɹǝp lɐ ʎoʇsǝ oʎ
Colaborador
i genuinely thought it was me, especially with the correspondence that I had received confirming it was me!!
But I would like to thank you all for assistance, it has been a pleasure,
it makes me wonder did Oscar Carrizos and me cross paths in the Aid Post, neither of us would have known.
"it is good to talk",

Jimmy, we are glad to help you.

Despite this puzzle is near to be resolved in my opinion we are not 100% sure about it. We still need a more convincing proof about the identity of the wounded man laying in those rocks.

Hope you and Oscar Carrizo cross paths again in a friendly way cause you said it, "its good to talk".

Regards.

------------------------------------------------------------

Jimmy, es un placer poder ayudarte.

A pesar de que este rompecabezas está cerca de ser resuelto, en mi opinión, no tendríamos que estar 100% seguros. Aún necesitamos una prueba más contundente sobre la identidad de ese hombre herido sobre esas piedras.

Espero que vos y Oscar Carrizo crucen caminos nuevamente, de una manera amistosa porque como lo dijiste, "es bueno hablar".

Saludos.

Thanks guys for looking into/translating the video. I must have watched it a few times now - you just feel really bad for him, and I'm sure countless others who had to deal with...well, everything really. I mean, as you say, look in his eyes- he looks absolutely torn-up. I hope in some way, doing that interview helped him a bit, and that in the time since, he's been able to move on to some extent. I doubt you ever forget things like that though.

Brave chap to talk so freely whilst still in the army too - his last comment sticks with me - "...I just don't see them as...enemy."

Got to thank this forum and the guys behind the project for bringing people together and making good new friends. I can't think of many other places where this is happening.

By the way, Ken, what was the giveaway with the Royal Marines? His sergeant stripe colours? ** EDIT : Oh I just saw - it says on the clip info on You Tube. Great powers of observation, Beeny! (It's been a long day...):yonofui:

reydelcastillo

Veterano Guerra de Malvinas
Colaborador
Hi Ken

I was just talking to Cosmicomet on the Phone , he was asking me about the C 130 when they tried to shoot them down when arriving on the Islands - Could you please tell us again those encounters and how did the mouse trap work -

Thank you , Regards Enrique

Hablando por telefono con Cosmicomet me preguntaba acerca de las emboscadas a los C 130 entonces le pedi a Ken que nos vuelva a relatar como montaban las emboscadas - ( Spanish )

jimmytx3

British War Veteran
Royal Marine

hi he was part of naval party 8901 who were captured at the start of the war he can be seen in this photo in the front row 3rd on the right,
[media]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2513/3796639826_73aa5b9e2a_o.jpg[/media]

Well spotted there, Jimmy, thanks for that cracking photo. I might be reading into stuff too much, but when you look at that photo - seems to me that including the chap in question, there are more than a few '1,000 yard stares' in the group there. Some smiles, yes, but that photo tells a lot to me.

Jimmy, was the SLR the standard sniper rifle, just scoped? I read in Graham Colbeck's book that one sniper was using a scoped Lee Enfield.

There's often a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of the SLR vs. the FAL. I'd be interested to hear what troops on both sides thought about this, if indeed it was discussed at the time, and if British troops were ever known to use captured FAL rifles. What was the 'policy' at the time of using captured weapons?

Steve

Yelmo58

Colaborador
Jimmy, was the SLR the standard sniper rifle, just scoped? I read in Graham Colbeck's book that one sniper was using a scoped Lee Enfield.

There's often a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of the SLR vs. the FAL. I'd be interested to hear what troops on both sides thought about this, if indeed it was discussed at the time, and if British troops were ever known to use captured FAL rifles. What was the 'policy' at the time of using captured weapons?

Steve

LtCol Vaux (42 CdoRM) using an argentine FAL PARA presented by a NCO

A Marine + a PARA :D
Guillermo

jimmytx3

British War Veteran
2 para

here is 2 para, at the racecourse.
but as long as you have when you need one who cares what you have,,
I a good friend of mine used an Argentine FN on Longdon after he had a problem with his,
bye for now jimmy
[media]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/3801062011_ccd79aa3d9_o.jpg[/media]

Thank you Jimmy for putting that in a realistic light.

There is another area I would be interested to hear veterans thoughts or recollections on concerning this incident, taking place after the main fighting on Wireless Ridge. I quote:

"The battle was not over yet. Some 200 Wireless Ridge survivors had been rallied by the 10th Brigade Operations Officer, Major Eugenio Dalton to form under heavy gunfire a last-ditch defensive line in front of the now silenced guns of the 4th Airborne Artillery Group near the racecourse. Near the church in Stanley, intent on helping Berazay, Major Carrizo-Salvadores, 2IC of the 7th Regiment, helped by the chaplain Father José Fernández, mustered about 50 Wireless Ridge survivors and led them on a bayonet charge, with the soldiers chanting their famous 'Malvinas March', but were stopped by heavy artillery and machine-gun fire." ("Razor's Edge" Hugh Bicheno pg. 312)

Best regards,

Steve