Post War people's behavior

felizalde55

Veterano Guerra de Malvinas
My questions are simple but very important for my self, may be for others argentine war veterans:
How british people received and react when they knew that you are 1982 War veterans?

What British government did for you as veterans? Do you have any kind of special benefits?

How did you live after war in military and civilian life?

Thanks for your answers.

Pancho

Mis preguntas son simples pero muy importantes para mí:

¿Cómo reaccionó y los recibía la gente al saber que Uds eran Veteranos de la Guerra de 1982?

¿Qué hizo el Gobieno Británico por Uds. Veteranos?
¿Tienen beneficios especiales?
¿Cómo vivieron su vida como militares y como civiles después del conflicto?

Gracias por sus respuestas.

Pancho

jimmytx3

British War Veteran
british goverment.

Hi Pancho, after i left the army i had a bit of difficulty getting employment as i had lost my right eye, no one wanted to employ me, saying about they could not get insurance, in case i had an accident while working for them and lost my good eye, times have changed now regarding disability.
as for pensions the government has been good to me, i get good pension for life.
I cannot not grumble, as am just glad to in the land of the living.
the army has not been in touch with me since i left,
i went self employed as it was the only way of getting a job at the time.
i am a one eyed taxi driver, a job you would expect the minimum requirement to be two, crazy hey...
bye for now jimmy :cheers2:

S

SnAkE_OnE

Hola Pancho, luego de abandonar el Ejercito, tuve dificultades para conseguir trabajo por haber perdido mi ojo derecho, nadie queria darme empleo ademas de que no podia conseguir seguro en caso de tener un accidente de trabajo y perdi mi buen ojo, afortunadamente los tiempos cambiaron en relacion a las discapacidades. Sobre la pension, el Gobierno fue atento conmigo y tengo una buena pension de por vida.

No puedo no quejarme, asi como tambien estoy contento de seguir en la tierra de los vivos, el Ejercito no se contacto conmigo desde que me fui, tuve un emprendimiento propio y fue lo unico que pude para trabajar en su momento.. soy un taxista de un solo ojo, un trabajo por el cual esperarias que el minimo requerimiento seria tener 2, loco no?

Dear Pancho,

How would you describe the treatment and perception of Argentine veterans by the people and government in today's Argentina? Do you receive any kind of army pensions or disability money for wounded? What is the general feeling towards veterans 27 years on?

Saludos,

Steve

felizalde55

Dear Pancho,

How would you describe the treatment and perception of Argentine veterans by the people and government in today's Argentina? Do you receive any kind of army pensions or disability money for wounded? What is the general feeling towards veterans 27 years on?

Saludos,

Steve

Steve,
what can I answer to you?. A short answer, I just saw your message, I give a more extensive answer, later.
My feeling is that this administration did a big step with Veterans pensions, now Veterans cold have a National government pension and a state veteran pension with both it's a reasonable ammount for living. Disability money just a little bit because my phisical disability is really minimal, but we need, not only money, we need a sincere respect from people and authorities.
We need psicological support and there is no program about this matter.
The general feeling toward veterans is diificult to describe, some people has a very high respect about us, other people has a polite respect but no so interest about the War and you find that a lot of people has no interest or knowledge about the conflict.
Life is still continue its way.

Thanks and best regards.

Pancho

Steve:
¿qué te puedo contestar? Solo una breve respuesta porque acabo de ver tu post, luego seré mas extenso.
Este gobierno dio un gran paso con los valores de pensiones otorgadas, ahora los VGM podemos tener una pensión de la Nacion y otra provincial lo que arma una cifra adecuada para vivir.
Yo recibí una pequeña indemnización por mis heridas porque la incapacidad es mínima pero no necesitamos solo dinero, tambien necesitamos un sincero respeto por parte de pueblo y gobierno.
Neceistamos soporte psicológico y no hubo programa al respecto.

El sentimiento generalizado frente a los VGM es difícil de describir . Hay gente que nos tiene un profundo respeto, otra gente tiene un educado respeto ero sin demasiado interés y otra gente que no le interesa o no conoce en lo mínimo el Conflicto.

La vida continúa su camino.
Gracias y mis mejores saludos.

Pancho

HI Pancho,

it sounds like the classic situation regarding the 'small wars' of recent times - a lack of interest among the general public. The South Atlantic conflict was fought a long way from home for both sides, yet with a disappointing outcome for Argentina - people are want to quickly forget painful history of that nature.

I would not be suprised if there is a somewhat similar reaction in the future among the general UK public towards Iraq and Afghanistan veterans- both unpopular conflicts with little visible success.

I read an interesting article about how soldiers deal with 'coming home', dealing with public reception and then adjusting back to normal life. The report said that in older conflicts, where transport back from the combat theatre to the home country took longer, i.e. shipping times etc., that there was more of chance for a 'group healing' and 'cooling down' period for troops. This changed from the Vietnam conflict onwards, with troops flown home far faster then thrust into a harsh public reception, causing more post-traumatic stress problems afterwards. I foiund this an interesting theory and would like to hear what you and other veterans feel about it.

Kind regards,

Steve

felizalde55

Steve,
we were back soon, if we compare with WWII back home troop's time. In a first time Argentine people's reaction when knew about the beginning of the conflict, was a strong support. Even when General Haig, as a Secretary of State did a conciliation visit, Plaza de Mayo was covered by a huge crowd. When on 14th June, people knew about the end of the war, was back claiming about the misinformation during the war and claim about the Argentine surrender.
The traumatic experience, as a war is always been, was increased by the authorities behavior, veterans did not exist, Malvinas War was denied. No body had nothing to do with the accumulated experience by Veterans. I think that Malvinas war was different, in people's feeling, with USA, British, and other Europeans people with Irak and Afghanistan conflict.
In Malvinas there is a centennial claim about the sovereign of the islands, the other mentioned conflicts was not in the "historical culture" of both peoples. At least , many people didn´t know where Irak and Afghanistan were.
I would like have a better recognize from Argentine people about our role and behavior during the Conflict.

If this centennial claim as you call it really is at the heart of Argentine feelings towards the islands, don't you find this all the more tragic then that there was/is such public ambivalence towards veterans of that conflict? Obviously I ask a rhetorical question, but I do find this attitude pretty disappointing really considering how dearly it seems the general public regard the Malvinas.

Whether or not the average Argentine agrees or not with the political motivations behind the Junta's decision to actually carry out Operation Rosario, the events happened, and this is fact. People wholly supported the cause at the start of the war; if there is a feeling that 'veterans don't exist' after these events, something has gone fundamentally wrong in schools and other national institutions in the lack of support for Malvinas veterans.

Let's hope that the future holds a little more recognition and respect as you say. My best regards to you and all other veterans, regardless of national colours.

felizalde55

I agree with you. You told it better that I could. I was so tired but I would answer you, just in a synthetic phrase
Best regards and thank you.

Pancho