British Youth About the conflict / juventud británica sobre el conflicto

Juanma

Colaborador
Colaborador
As you can see many of the people interested in the war were very young or even weren't born in 1982.

It's the same way in the United Kindom?

How it's the attitude of younger people towards this war?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Como pueden ver muchas de las personas interesadas en la guerra eran muy jóvenes o incluso no habian nacido en 1982.

Sucede lo mismo en el Reino Unido?

¿Cómo es la actitud de los jóvenes hacia esaa guerra?

Eagle_

Colaborador
Colaborador
Voy a pecar de metido y voy a contestar lo que yo supongo. Veo a la guerra de Malvinas, para los argentinos, como un sentimiento nacional, la única guerra que peleó nuestro país en el siglo XX, y lo hizo contra una potencia. Es el único ejemplo de veteranos que tenemos, y siempre fue una causa especial.

Para los británicos, supongo, Malvinas no fue tan especial, fue otra de las tantas guerras que tuvieron contra países de menores capacidades de combate o experiencias militares durante toda su historia. Creo que hoy por hoy, un joven entusiasta militar, debe estar más ligado a las guerras mundiales o a la actual situación en Irak/Afganistán, que lo que pasó en Malvinas hace 27 años. Es lo que noto con varios chicos británicos entre 18 y 20 años con los que frecuento gracias a mi estudio/trabajo, y se interesan más en Argentina por Tévez o las cataratas, que por la guerra que nos enfrentó.

Millones de disculpas a los moderadores por no traducirlo, pero me están apurando que necesitan la PC, si no puede traducirlo alguien, mañana paso y lo hago yo.

Un saludo

----

I'm going to err on the side of a reply and I got what I guess. I see the war of Malvinas to Argentines as a national sentiment, he fought the only war our country in the twentieth century, and did so against a power. It is the only example of veterans who have, and always was a special cause.

For the British, I suppose, Malvinas was not so special, was another of the many wars against countries that were least able to combat or military experience throughout its history. I think today, a young enthusiastic military must be more closely linked to the world wars or the current situation in Iraq / Afghanistan, which happened 27 years ago in the Malvinas. It is noticed that several British children between 18 and 20 years with the frequent result that my study / work, and are more interested in Tevez for Argentina or cataracts, that the war we face.

Millions of apologies to the moderators for not translating, but I need are racing to the PC, if someone can translate it tomorrow and I do pass.

greetings

Interesting subject, Juanma. I am British, born in 1979, and remember the Malvinas mainly because my mother is Argentine and was of course very interested to follow the conflict from her home in England. I am also very interested in military history, so naturally this is a subject I want to research more.

Having said this, it would be my guess that the average British youth knows very little at all about the conflict, since it certainly was not taught in school when I was growing up, and I doubt that it is today. Very little is thought about it compared to what I have encountered talking to Argentine youth- the sentiments are totally different in our countries regarding these islands in the South Atlantic. I bet that most British youth could not even tell you where they were or that a conflict even took place. Most likely they would be pretty dismissive of the whole thing.

The re-taking of the Malvinas holds deep meaning to Argentines it appears, for all the reasons we are familiar with. If it happened again, I think there would be a lot more people who could not care about it in the UK, compared to in 1982, and I have heard that the UK military has run scenarios predicting they could not repeat their success again. That said I could be completely wrong and there might be a repeat wave of nationalistic sentiment in the UK should it happen - perhaps this was indeed what happened in 1982 making Thatcher so popular again for a while.

I would be interested to hear the opinions of my fellow countrymen on the youth view though.

Juanma

Colaborador
Colaborador
I have heard that the UK military has run scenarios predicting they could not repeat their success again.

When we read these rumors we don't belive them very much.
Why? our armed forces are in very bad shape and the tecnology gap is increasing.
Most of the people thinks that these ideas are spread just to increase your military budget or to mantain the tension.
From time to time news appear saying we are increasing our military strengh. But as we all know, it just people talking to preserve their interests.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cuando leemos estos rumores no les creen mucho.
¿Por qué? nuestras fuerzas armadas están en muy mal estado de la tecnología y la brecha está aumentando.
La mayoría de la gente piensa que estas ideas se extienden sólo a aumentar su presupuesto militar o para mantener la tensión.
De vez en cuando aparecen noticias diciendo que estamos aumentando nuestra fuerza militar. Pero como todos sabemos, es sólo gente hablando de preservar sus intereses

Interesante tema, Juanma. Soy británico, nacido en 1979, y recordar las Malvinas, principalmente porque mi madre es argentina y fue, por supuesto, muy interesado en seguir el conflicto de su casa en Inglaterra. También estoy muy interesado en historia militar, por lo que este es un tema que quiero más a la investigación.

Dicho esto, sería mi supongo que la media de los jóvenes británicos sabe muy poco de todo sobre el conflicto, ya que ciertamente no se enseñan en la escuela cuando yo estaba creciendo, y dudo que lo que es hoy. Muy poco se pensaba acerca de ello en comparación con lo que he encontrado hablando con la juventud argentina de los sentimientos son totalmente diferentes en nuestros países con respecto a estas islas en el Atlántico Sur. Apuesto a que la mayoría de los jóvenes británicos ni siquiera pudo decirle donde fueron o que un conflicto, incluso se llevó a cabo. Lo más probable es que sería muy despectiva de la cosa entera.

La recuperación de las Malvinas tiene un profundo significado para los argentinos, parece, por todas las razones que conocemos. Si ocurrió una vez más, creo que habría mucho más personas que podrían no importa que en el Reino Unido, en comparación con 1982, y he oído que el Reino Unido se ha quedado militar predecir escenarios no podían repetir el éxito de nuevo. Que dijo que yo podría estar totalmente equivocado y podría haber una ola de repetir sentimiento nacionalista en el Reino Unido en caso de que suceda - tal vez esto fue lo que sucedió de hecho en 1982 Thatcher tan popular que de nuevo por un tiempo.

Me interesaría escuchar las opiniones de mis paisanos en la vista, aunque los jóvenes.

Griffiths911

British War Veteran
Interesting subject, Juanma. I am British, born in 1979, and remember the Malvinas mainly because my mother is Argentine and was of course very interested to follow the conflict from her home in England. I am also very interested in military history, so naturally this is a subject I want to research more.

Having said this, it would be my guess that the average British youth knows very little at all about the conflict, since it certainly was not taught in school when I was growing up, and I doubt that it is today. Very little is thought about it compared to what I have encountered talking to Argentine youth- the sentiments are totally different in our countries regarding these islands in the South Atlantic. I bet that most British youth could not even tell you where they were or that a conflict even took place. Most likely they would be pretty dismissive of the whole thing.

The re-taking of the Malvinas holds deep meaning to Argentines it appears, for all the reasons we are familiar with. If it happened again, I think there would be a lot more people who could not care about it in the UK, compared to in 1982, and I have heard that the UK military has run scenarios predicting they could not repeat their success again. That said I could be completely wrong and there might be a repeat wave of nationalistic sentiment in the UK should it happen - perhaps this was indeed what happened in 1982 making Thatcher so popular again for a while.

I would be interested to hear the opinions of my fellow countrymen on the youth view though.

Steve,

I understand what you are saying, however, one system would make a difference today. It is very likely that British intelligence has targeted key military installations in Argentina for the Tomahawk missile.

The defences on the Islands, even today, would not withstand a full-blown attack Arg invasion. The Arg attacking force would have to be committed to a precise and deadly attack. The casualties would be horrific and reported in our homes in graphic detail the next morning. It would all start again my friend.

Just my view.

Steve,

I understand what you are saying, however, one system would make a difference today. It is very likely that British intelligence has targeted key military installations in Argentina for the Tomahawk missile.

The defences on the Islands, even today, would not withstand a full-blown attack Arg invasion. The Arg attacking force would have to be committed to a precise and deadly attack. The casualties would be horrific and reported in our homes in graphic detail the next morning. It would all start again my friend.

Just my view.

You should trust Juanma on this one...our armed forces are barely operational (and I am not even considering your offensive capabilities - say the Tomahawks you've mentioned), and even if we threw everything we've got (something that we're not able to do, we have no way of mobilizing that big a force) at the Islands, I doubt we would succeed. Nevertheless, this is a pointless argument, nobody in Argentina seriously considers repeating what we did in '82 - we still have a claim, but it isn't something we're going to resolve by force of arms.

---------------------------------------------------------

Tomale la palabra a Juanma...nuestras FFAA apenas estan operacionales (y ni siquiera estoy teniendo en cuenta las capacidades ofensivas que uds tienen - como los Tomahawk de los que hablaste) y aún si les tirásemos todo lo que tenemos (algo que no podemos hacer, ya que no hay chance que podamos movilizar tal fuerza), no creo que vayamos a ganar. De todas maneras, este argumento no tiene sentido, nadie en Argentina considera seriamente repetir lo que hicimos en el '82 - seguimos con el Reclamo, pero no es algo que vamos a resolver por la fuerza.

As we have to do to explain and convince the islanders and Argentina that the British never again resort to arms to demand? And this is directed to foristas foreigners really think that my country was at conditions (material and human) of "playing war"?. Please give the news in the newspapers of the old continent are lies: no reset, no discomfort, no nothing. My country is not, nor wants, nor was he going through your head a military action. The sad thing is that in the islands, read newspapers of the old continent, and think they are next to North Korea. Cordial greetings of peace to all.

----

Como tenemos que hacer para explicar y convencer a los Isleños y Británicos que la Argentina nunca jamás recurrirá a las armas para reclamar? Y esto va dirijido a los foristas extranjeros: realmente piensan que mi país está en condiciones (materiales y humanas) de "jugar a la guerra"?. Por favor, las noticias que dan en la prensa amarilla del viejo continente son mentiras: no hay rearme, ni malestar, ni nada. Mi país no está, ni quiere, ni se le pasa por la cabeza una acción militar. Lo lamentable, es que en las Islas, leen prensa amarilla del viejo continente, y se creen que tienen a Corea del Norte al lado. Cordiales saludos de paz para todos.

Griffiths911

British War Veteran
Just talking

You should trust Juanma on this one...our armed forces are barely operational (and I am not even considering your offensive capabilities - say the Tomahawks you've mentioned), and even if we threw everything we've got (something that we're not able to do, we have no way of mobilizing that big a force) at the Islands, I doubt we would succeed. Nevertheless, this is a pointless argument, nobody in Argentina seriously considers repeating what we did in '82 - we still have a claim, but it isn't something we're going to resolve by force of arms.

---------------------------------------------------------

Tomale la palabra a Juanma...nuestras FFAA apenas estan operacionales (y ni siquiera estoy teniendo en cuenta las capacidades ofensivas que uds tienen - como los Tomahawk de los que hablaste) y aún si les tirásemos todo lo que tenemos (algo que no podemos hacer, ya que no hay chance que podamos movilizar tal fuerza), no creo que vayamos a ganar. De todas maneras, este argumento no tiene sentido, nadie en Argentina considera seriamente repetir lo que hicimos en el '82 - seguimos con el Reclamo, pero no es algo que vamos a resolver por la fuerza.

Let's not call it an argument...we are talking and exchanging views my friend.

One question, try and be objective with your reply.

If Britain removed all it's armed forces from the South Atlantic, are you absolutely convinced that Argentina's armed forces would not mobilise and repeat the events of 1982?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No nos llamamos un argumento ... estamos hablando y el intercambio de puntos de vista de mi amigo.

Una cuestión, tratar de ser objetiva con su respuesta.

¿Si Gran Bretaña retirado todas las fuerzas armadas desde el Atlántico Sur, que están absolutamente convencidos de que la Argentina las fuerzas armadas de no movilizarse y repetir los sucesos de 1982?

S

SnAkE_OnE

It is very likely that British intelligence has targeted key military installations in Argentina for the Tomahawk missile.

Indeed i share that same thought, but it's at least a question of doubt, to think if USA will allow to hit key military and chain of command, logistics, etc, in Argentine mainland, considering the "fortress" context of America's backyard..

The defences on the Islands, even today, would not withstand a full-blown attack Arg invasion.

X2, but i presume as well that a full blown would be costly to both sides, except that if we pretty much repeat the doctrine that we used in 1982, of course, adapted to it..but i also believe that it's been taken into consideration as well

The Arg attacking force would have to be committed to a precise and deadly attack. The casualties would be horrific and reported in our homes in graphic detail the next morning. It would all start again my friend.

perfectly said

I have a deep respect for professionals in MoD as in your various MI's, so i believe to be inapropiate to make an opinion about the situation of our armed forces, but i will only say that we're not planning or pretending to force any situation, it's not a game at all..but as for any kind of conflict to be, we'll respond but never incite it..

of course my best regards to you Griffith and my respects to your fellow veterans

---------- Post added at 07:08 ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 ----------

Indeed i share that same thought, but it's at least a question of doubt, to think if USA will allow to hit key military and chain of command, logistics, etc, in Argentine mainland, considering the "fortress" context of America's backyard..

X2, but i presume as well that a full blown would be costly to both sides, except that if we pretty much repeat the doctrine that we used in 1982, of course, adapted to it..but i also believe that it's been taken into consideration as well

perfectly said

I have a deep respect for professionals in MoD as in your various MI's, so i believe to be inapropiate to make an opinion about the situation of our armed forces, but i will only say that we're not planning or pretending to force any situation, it's not a game at all..but as for any kind of conflict to be, we'll respond but never incite it..

of course my best regards to you Griffith and my respects to your fellow veterans

En efecto comparto el razonamiento, pero por lo menos da el beneficio de la duda, pensar si EEUU permitiria el ataque en instalaciones claves militares, de cadena de mando, logistica, etc en Argentina Continental, considerando los conceptos que tienen sobre America...estrategicamente hablando, dejando las ideologias politicas de lado

(comentando sobre la 2da cita) comparto tambien, pero entiendo que un ataque a toda marcha seria costoso para ambos lados, incluyendo tambien la posibilidad de repetir cierta doctrina aplicada en 1982, aunque por supuesto adaptada, tambien que creo que la inteligencia britanica ha tenido en cuenta

(3era cita) Perfectamente dicho

Respeto el profesionalismo de los funcionarios del ministerio de defensa britanico asi como varios de los "servicios", por eso tambien considero inapropiado emitir una opinion sobre la situacion de nuestras FFAA, solo voy agregar que no planeamos actualmente ni pretendemos forzar ningun tipo de conflicto, no lo consideramos un juego en lo mas minimo..pero como en cualquier tipo de situacion, responderemos pero no vamos a provocarlo.

Te envio un saludo con el mayor de los respetos y reconocimientos a vos y tus camaradas veteranos

Let's not call it an argument...we are talking and exchanging views my friend.

One question, try and be objective with your reply.

If Britain removed all it's armed forces from the South Atlantic, are you absolutely convinced that Argentina's armed forces would not mobilise and repeat the events of 1982?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No nos llamamos un argumento ... estamos hablando y el intercambio de puntos de vista de mi amigo.

Una cuestión, tratar de ser objetiva con su respuesta.

¿Si Gran Bretaña retirado todas las fuerzas armadas desde el Atlántico Sur, que están absolutamente convencidos de que la Argentina las fuerzas armadas de no movilizarse y repetir los sucesos de 1982?

Well, in my opinion -and I'm trying to be objective- we wouldn't do it again. At least, not in the near future. The thing is, nowadays our armed forces are subordinated to civil authorities (something that should have always been so) which care little for our military or anything related to it, and even if they didn't, we know -as history has proven it- that you wouldn't stand arms crossed doing nothing after our retaking of the Islands. There are other things we could consider, but these two key points

a)The lack of political will
b)The certainty of a British response

make me tell you that I am convinced we wouldn't try this again.
Cheers!

PD: I never meant to sound harsh by calling this exchange of views an argument, sorry if you took it that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bueno en mi opinion - y trato de ser objetivo- no lo haríamos de vuelta. Al menos no en un futuro cercano. El tema es que ahora nuestras FFAA estan subordinadas a la autoridad civil (algo que siempre deberia haber sido asi), y a estas les importan poco lo militar o cualquier cosa relacionado a ello, y aún si no fuese así, sabemos -como lo ha probado la historia- que uds. no se quedarían de brazos cruzados haciendo nada mientras retomamos las Islas. Podríamos considerar más cosas, pero estos dos puntos:

a)falta de voluntad política
b)la certeza de una respuesta británica

hacen que te diga que estoy convencido que no trataríamos de hacerlo de vuelta. Saludos!

PD: no traté de sonar duro llamando este intecambio de ideas una "discusión" (en inglés argument = discusion, pero en un tono mas fuerte), perdon si lo tomaste de esta manera

It's nice to see there is a general agreement about the likelihood of this not happening again. I honestly hope to God that remains true.

I just finished watching a superb documentary last night in which Major (retired) Chris Keeble made a statement to the effect of 'Britain must aways find a way not to go to war'. I think he was generally pretty sickened by what he experienced as I am sure most people are who have really experienced war.

Mind you, if you're in the armed forces, and you're called to go into action - what choice do you have? This the tragedy really of most conflict, and the case of our two countries it is pretty tragic when you consider our forces had cross-trained together not that long before 1982.

Muy buenas...
yo creo que la juventud britanica debe recordar mas a el conflicto que en ese momento se desarrollaba en Irlanda del Norte, no nos olvidemos que el IRA luchaba (y sigue) contra el gobierno de Londres.
Creo que estaba mas presente esos hechos porque se producian ahi mismo en Gran Bretaña y a menudo se producian bajas en las fuerzas de seguridad de ocupacion.
Creo que pasaba lo mismo que aca, mientras que en Santa Cruz y Tierra del Fuego se vivia la guerra, en Buenos Aires se vivia el Mundial.
Saludos
PD: el mensaje original estaba traducido, pero por alguna razon se me deslogueo la sesion, la proxima viene con traduccion incluida.

Muy buenas...
yo creo que la juventud britanica debe recordar mas a el conflicto que en ese momento se desarrollaba en Irlanda del Norte, no nos olvidemos que el IRA luchaba (y sigue) contra el gobierno de Londres.
Creo que estaba mas presente esos hechos porque se producian ahi mismo en Gran Bretaña y a menudo se producian bajas en las fuerzas de seguridad de ocupacion.
Creo que pasaba lo mismo que aca, mientras que en Santa Cruz y Tierra del Fuego se vivia la guerra, en Buenos Aires se vivia el Mundial.
Saludos
PD: el mensaje original estaba traducido, pero por alguna razon se me deslogueo la sesion, la proxima viene con traduccion incluida.

En Bs As no se vivía el mundial como vos crees.-

Los últimos días de la guerra, que coinciden con los primeros del mundial fueron grises y con un olor generalizado de PERDIDA.-

Lo que hicieron los medios fue otra cosa.-

Saludos

A

Andy Green

Once thing is certain. Has the tomahawk been in service in 1982, I have no doubt that it would have been used to take out the Super Etendards. They were the one Argentina asset that the British fleet were worried about, and a lot of effort was put in to minimise the possible loss of an aircraft carrier. Various plans had been considered to attack the base of these aircraft, including crash landing a C130 on the base, but in the end they decided it was a suicide mission. The presence of these aircraft keep the carriers further away from the Malvinas in order to minimise the risk of loss of one of the carriers, which would have probably put an end to the UK operation.

Sin duda, si fuera en servicio el tomahawk en 1982, no tengo duda que hubieran sido usado para eliminar la amenaza de los Etendards. Eran lo que preocupaba más a los británicos y mucho esfuerzo fue gastado en disminuir el posible pérdida de uno de los portaaviones. Varios planes eran considerados en el momento para atacar el base de estos aviones potentes, incluyendo el aterrizar un C130 en el base lleno de esfuerzos especiales, pero al final decidieron que fue una misión de suicidio. La presencia de los Etendards mantuvieron los portaaviones a un distancia de las islas al norte este para disminuir el riesgo de ataque aéreo pero que la pérdida de uno de los dos portaaviones hubiera puesto fin a la operación británica.

thunder

Veterano Guerra de Malvinas
Miembro del Staff
Moderador
Si, si hubieran tenido Tomahawks los hubieran usado tal vez y si nosotros hubiéramos tenido Condor II también y si hubieramos.....
Lo único cierto es lo que había para ambas fuerzas. El resto es una novela.

Yes, if they had they would have been used Tomahawks and maybe if we had had Condor II and also if we had .....
The only certainty is what he had to both forces. The rest is a novel.

tanoarg

Miembro del Staff
Moderador
señores, les recuerdo que es un foro en castellano, sirvan de usar un traductor en linea, ademas del posteo original.

IN ENGLISH
I do not know English. I write in Spanish. I use Google Translate to translate into English. Try to write simple for the translation more pure.
Please ask people who write in English and translated into corresponding Spanish. This facilitates communication.
Thank you.

Interesting debate. It is interesting to share views.
Argentina is a democracy. The armed forces are subordinate to the government. The government of Argentina has, or ever had an interest in recovering the islands with a war. Difficult that to change in the future.
Argentina continues to believe that the Malvinas / Malvinas are from Argentina and were usurped by the United Kingdom.
Argentina's foreign policy from 1833 to the present has been to negotiate the peaceful recovery of the islands. The only sad exception was the 1982 war, when dictators ruled Argentina.
But Argentina is now consolidated democracy where there is no possibility of coups.
It is therefore expected that Argentina continue pressing through diplomatic, economic policy and to seek a peaceful solution to the conflict. This will probably continue to happen for the next few decades, if necessary, as all political leaders of Argentina, of all political parties and the majority of citizens agree on this point: peaceful settlement.
Argentina peaceful pressure to resolve the conflict continue in the future.
So there will be no war, even though Argentina is reset and the UK stop defending the islands. But continue the diplomatic conflict.
Interestingly, the government of Argentina requested that, as established by the resolutions of the United Nations Organization (UN), the parties sit down to negotiate.
Argentina's government does not impose preconditions to negotiations, except those established by the UN resolutions, this does not necessarily mean that the negotiation (if you get to produce in the future) necessarily end when the UK returned to the islands Argentina.

EN ESPAÑOL
Yo no sé ingles. Yo escribo en español. Utilizo Google Translate para traducir al idioma ingles. Trataré de escribir simple para que la traducción sea más pura.
Por favor, pido a las personas que escriben en ingles que correspondan y traduzcan al español. Esto facilita la comunicación.
Muchas Gracias.

Interesante debate. Es interesante poder compartir puntos de vistas.
Argentina es una democracia. Las fuerzas armadas están subordinadas al gobierno. El gobierno de Argentina no tiene, ni nunca tuvo, interés en recuperar las islas con una guerra. Difícil que eso cambié en el futuro.
Argentina continúa pensando que las islas Malvinas/Malvinas son de Argentina y fueron usurpadas por el Reino Unido.
La política exterior de Argentina desde 1833 hasta el presente ha sido negociar la recuperación pacífica de las islas. La única y triste excepción fue la guerra de 1982, cuando en Argentina gobernaban dictadores.
Pero Argentina ahora es una democracia consolidada, donde no hay posibilidad de golpes de estados.
Por tanto, es previsible que Argentina continúe presionando por la vía diplomática, política y económica para buscar una solución pacífica al conflicto. Esto probablemente continuará sucediendo por las próximas décadas, si es necesario, ya que todos los líderes políticos de Argentina, de todos los partidos políticos y la mayoría de los ciudadanos coinciden sobre este punto: solución pacífica del conflicto.
La presión pacífica de Argentina para solucionar el conflicto continuará en el futuro.

Así que no habrá guerra, incluso aunque Argentina se rearme y el Reino Unido deje de defender las islas. Pero sí continuara el conflicto diplomático.
Es interesante destacar que el gobierno de Argentina solicita que, según lo establecido por las resoluciones de la Organización de las Naciones Unidas (ONU), las partes se sienten a negociar.
El gobierno de Argentina no impone condiciones previas a la negociación, salvo las establecidas por las resoluciones de la ONU, esto significa que no necesariamente la negociación (si se llega a producir en el futuro) terminará necesariamente en que el Reino Unido devuelva las islas a Argentina.

A

Andy Green

IN ENGLISH

El gobierno de Argentina no impone condiciones previas a la negociación, salvo las establecidas por las resoluciones de la ONU, esto significa que no necesariamente la negociación (si se llega a producir en el futuro) terminará necesariamente en que el Reino Unido devuelva las islas a Argentina.

Cuales son las condiciones establecidas por la ONU? What are the preconditions established by the resolutions?